Monday, 17 October 2016

What does her future hold?

I fear for my Daughter's future. It's something that pops into my head on a regular basis. What will become of her? Will she be happy? Will she be successful? Will she go to university? Will she travel the world and experience different cultures? The world is a scary place and it seems to be getting scarier and scarier. It seems we are at risk of everything and anything that you could deem 'your worst nightmare.' I fear mostly for her generation. I look at teenagers today. You know the girls who walk around in crop-tops with surly, pouting looks on their faces whilst glued to their iPhones. Many of them are experts in applying a full face of MAC makeup and looking about five years older than their age. When I was twelve/thirteen I had my Mum's leftover dream matte mousse which was about three shades too oompa-loompa for my face and some eyeliner that was placed strategically on my bottom lid. I finished it off with some cheap mascara and a lip gloss I got free in Mizz magazine. Oh and I used to write in a diary. At the time I thought I was grown-up, but I wasn't.
 Extract of said diary. It's pretty tragic.
                                                         
The world seems a million miles away now from what it was back then thanks to the introduction of social media. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, you'd be hard-pushed to find a teenager who isn't on at least one of the three. The influence celebrities have on their young, naive minds is incredible. Kylie Jenner is a role model. People are fighting tooth-and-nail to get their hands on her range of lip-glosses. Young girls are watching her snapchat videos where she is flaunting her surgically-enhanced body, large house, flashy cars, ridiculously expensive clothes and shoes and think it's exactly the life they should be living. Kim K posts giant ass selfies like it's the norm. Chrissy Teigen poses naked on an armchair with her Husband's face protecting (some of) her modesty and posts it to her Instagram and we seem so baffled that kids as young as twelve think it's acceptable to be sending nude pictures to others. Little Mix are becoming more and more sexualised as their careers go on. Their latest song "Shoutout to my Ex" includes lyrics such as "I hope she gettin' better sex. Hope she aint faking it like I did Babe." All they sing about is men and shitty sex. I'm not a prude in the slightest but fucking hell no wonder teens place a hell of alot of emphasis on their relationships nowadays! I get it SEX SELLS, but what impact is this having on the younger generation who are so heavily influenced by media presence?

It's de-sensitising them. They are exposed to what I would label 'adult-material' on a regular basis through social media and Youtube. Half naked females on music videos, violent computer games, sexualised lyrics in songs. They have become so exposed that it becomes 'normal.' Facebook is the land of 'validate me, validate me.' Young boys and girls post selfies with really annoying 'deep and meaningful' captions like they've lived a thousand fucking years. They tag their friends in all sorts of shit. They are encouraged to 'fuck the haters' and believe that they're the best thing since sliced bread. I'm all for building children up with confidence. I love the saying "Parents need to fill a child's bucket of self-esteem so high that the rest of the world can't poke enough holes to drain it dry." In fact, this is one of a few sayings I live by as I raise my Daughter but there is a massive difference between having a high self-esteem and just being an egotistical narcissist and I truly believe that this young generation are heading this way.

This is highlighted by a story that came out a few years ago. The teenage girl who posted a picture of herself posing next to her dead Grandma in a hospital bed, lips pouted, captioned with something like "You're the best Grandma ever, so sad that you're gone." There was outrage, people were saying "oh she's not actually dead she obviously took the picture when she was alive and posted it after she's died" like it justifies it. Since when did it become normal to:
 A) Take selfies with people as they are dying when they are at their most vulnerable and deserve some dignity.
B)Post the picture on social media when you should be mourning because you are craving empty vessel comments like "so sorry" and "she would have been so proud."

Let me be clear. I am not for one second pigeon-holing all teenagers into this 'celebrity-obsessed, Facebook addicted, crop-top wearing, narcissistic little twerp' category. I'm also not saying that those who slot into this category are completely to blame. The pressures society and the media force on these young impressionable beings is enormous! Do I believe parents should do more to monitor and try to prevent the exposure? Yes! Do I think the media have more of an influence over children than their parents do? Absolutely!

Technology is only going to advance, media influence is only going to greaten, so what will become of our children?We can't predict the future, all we can do is protect. I want my Daughter to hold on to her childhood for as long as she can. Hold on to her ever-blossoming imagination, her innocence, her wonderful sense of humour and her curious nature. I also want her to be fiercely independent and street-smart and above all, kind-hearted and empathetic.
and happy.

The Kitschy Mumma


Diary of an imperfect mum
Mummuddlingthrough
Brilliant blog posts on HonestMum.com
My Random Musings

13 comments:

  1. This is something that worries me too and how much social media affect our lives. Obviously as bloggers we use it more, much to my husbands annoyance, but I do wonder what it will be like in a few years and whether my children will actually speak to me or of there'll be an app instead! #coolmumclub

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so scary! Technology seems to be taking over :( thanks for reading x

      Delete
  2. This is something that worries me too and how much social media affect our lives. Obviously as bloggers we use it more, much to my husbands annoyance, but I do wonder what it will be like in a few years and whether my children will actually speak to me or of there'll be an app instead! #coolmumclub

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am deeply worried about all of this too. Social media and technology is just running away without any supervision and the truth is that its too early to say what kind of psychological impact it will have on those growing up with it but the early signs are not good. I hope it gets to a point where it is regulated - some academics believe it will be the unraveling of the human world and actually I tend to agree with them! Thanks for linking up to #coolmumclub lovely x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree! It feels like all the massive accomplishments humans have made in social interaction and other things with other humans is being wiped out! It frightens me! Thanks again for having me x

      Delete
  4. I really worry about it too. I wonder what I can do, as a mummy, to protect them from this and nurture them to be wise as they inevitably enter this world. I hope it works out in the end but who knows. That's the most frightening thing... #ABloggingGoodTime

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep I feel the same! All I want to do is shield her away from the world but that would stunt her emotional growth too.It really does terrify me. Thanks for reading X

      Delete
  5. It is indeed very scary what our children will get expose to in the future, all we can do is hope for the best and enjoy the time we have with them #momsterslink

    ReplyDelete
  6. I fear for my daughters future too. With all the technological developments and the often backwards way we are being governed it is a valid concern!
    thanks for linking to #ablogginggoodtime

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arrrrgh it scares me so much! Glad others feel the same. Thanks for reading X

      Delete
  7. When I was a teenager, there was all the same arguments about magazines and music videos. The medium might change, but teenagers have seen these over sexualized woman for a lot longer than the internet has been around. I do think it's very sad though. Why can't kids just be kids?
    Thanks for linking up to #AnythingGoes :)
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! They're growing up before their time, can't see it stopping any time soon ☹️️ X

      Delete